Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Rugby World Cup 2007

The whole of Cape Town got sport-mad on Saturday. Everyone that could was dressed in green - like this little chap at the local Pick and Pay. We watched how we won the Web Ellis trophy with the Heines and enjoyed the moment. It was always clear to me that we would win, as we really had a good tournament and one could sense that the players were confident.

I think that even the English recognised that the Springboks were a superior team, yet they played with commitment and can be very proud of how they ended the tournament. I salute them.

Reading many reports on the match afterwards, I particularly liked the Sportblog by Andy Bull in the UK Guardian. He ends with the following sentence: "As I said, defeat is easier when you've someone to blame. It is easier still when you can appreciate and enjoy what it means for the team that beat you, and how well they had to play to do it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pa! I always enjoy reading your blog and hearing what you and Ma are up to. Got back from Greece yesterday (will update my blog as soon as i get a chance- with photos of trip- it was fantastic!!)I managed to find a place to watch the rugby final in Athens (after hours of enquiring and many blank stares!)... rugby is not big in Athens! We watched most of the game, but then lost conection 6 min before the end!! So missed the last 6 minutes of play and everything after that! I can imagine the vibe in SA must have been incredible! Cath