Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dentist Appointment


I was at the dentist this morning for almost two hours. It was the firs time that I had an implant made with the new scanning technology. As a technologist this was an amazing experience for me - to see how technology is applied in everyday life and the immense benefits that it brings. The tooth-implant was manufactured on site in fifteen minutes and was an absolute perfect fit, it was less expensive than if the tooth was to have been made in a laboratory and had less impact in my schedule. So on all counts it won outright on the manual product.

The thing that interested me most, was the impact that this kind of technology would have on the "tooth-manufacturing" industry. My dentist told me that he cut his business with tooth-technicians with 85%. In total this must have a massive disruptive effect on the industry. Just another example of technology having a major impact on the world as we know it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Incredible.
Now a new business that can be applied must be to start a consulting company that can do research and sell advice to tooth technitions on other related frontiers to explore to make a living (and for that matter all other jobs that will be outdated by the techological revolution per se)